When David, the Shepherd-King went out to meet Goliath, he collected five smooth stones from a nearby brook and dropped them into his shepherd’s pouch.
He prepared, and then he went out to battle.
Here is a collection of smooth stones, main ideas, from the readings which may help you prepare when the giants in life are looming.
More stones wait to be found in your own reading of the Scriptures.
The quarry is deep. The work is worthy. The battles rage. We are called to the front lines.
Knowing the King: Learning the Ways of God
- God is limitless in wisdom, love, ability and power.
- God knows where we are, and He knows our name.
- God redefines our ideas of what’s possible, who we are and who He is.
- God sees me and in wisdom and compassion acts beyond my requests.
- God wants to be the beginning and the ending of our gratitude.
- God calls us into a new kind of life [zōē] with Him.
- God wants us to know the depths of His faithful love and to see the future from the safety of His arms.
- God is pointing the way to a closer understanding of Who He is and what He is doing.
- God wants us to be whole-heartedly “all in” on the way of life He is creating for us.
- God clarifies our way by teaching us about His way.
- We dwell at home in God when we receive our life from Him.
- We must be intentional about daily reviewing the written Truth in the Bible, the words of Jesus, the only One who never drifted . . . making it a home within us.
- We need rehearse the true ways of the King to push from our minds the darkness of lies.
- We can trust in and rely on the gifts God gives and the way He gives them.
Trusting the King: Believing the Words of God
- God responds in power when we turn to him in simple trust.
- God assumes responsibility for the outcomes of our obedience.
- God will not short-change us when we obey His leadings.
- God will always show us what we need to know when we need to know it.
- We can trust God to provide all that we need, when we need it.
- We can trust God to be the Great Initiator in our days.
- We aren’t given to know the duration of our faith, only the strength to keep it.
- Whole-hearted obedience requires a forward-looking faith
Serving the King: Living in the Life of God
- We are free, because God says so.
- We were designed from creation to be in a dependent relationship with God.
- We aren’t designed for an independent life apart from God.
- The work to make us enough for God is all His, and He has done it.
- Our Sabbath rest is found in trusting God every day.
- Remembering God’s faithfulness, love and presence are guard rails against a bitter heart and weary mind.
- Peace and joy are found not in a place or a plan, but in God and His promises.
- We know God as we obey Him.
- Contentment is a choice for God when our circumstances hide His goodness.
- We walk with God as we live out His teaching daily.
- We live in unison with others by choosing to live in unison with God.
- Because our needs are being met, our self-interest can be relieved and refocused on others.